Wednesday, March 28, 2012

&...the joy of small walls for walking and jumping.

Every afternoon the road in front of my house becomes a parking lot as Mums and Dads go on the daily school run. (This also happens in the morning, but to be honest, I'm not generally ready to let the world in that early in the morning.)

There is a small wall in front of my house. The wall is placed just outside my window where I sit at my desk for ninety percent of my life. It is made of bricks perhaps a foot and a half tall and encloses pavers because, heaven forbid, it would be too high maintenance for my landlords to take care of something living. The wall is the perfect size for short legs to jump on and over and walk along. Even shorter legs need a boost and a hand to keep balance. The sheer joy that can come from walking along a brick balance beam whether assisted or not is kind of miraculous.

My curmudgeonly self might get annoyed at the kid who feels that the success does not come until one jumps the wall precisely four dozen times, but it can't last for too long in the presence of such joy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, to be a kid again! You should try walking the wall on a sunny day...good for core balance :)

    ReplyDelete